Senior Statistical Officer Across The GSS
ResponsibilitiesRoles & Responsibilities
You will work on a breadth of projects which will require you to;
- Create new data solutions/collections through the manipulation of multiple data sources, to better meet customer needs
- Proactively engage early and often with the customer to share analytical results, and to discuss findings, taking data limitations into account.
- Influence the debate and the decision-making process ensure that robust data collection is facilitated
- Drive forward suitable technologies, tools and analytical techniques, leading the way in their application and acts as a main point of contact to ensure effective delivery within, and across teams
- Use the most appropriate methods and tools to use to deliver analysis, confidently adapting their approach as required to effectively manipulate a variety of data sources
- Take responsibility for the delivery of high quality statistical advice and analysis given by self and/or team
- Build the capability of others by sharing knowledge about data sources, data manipulation and appropriate innovations within own team or across business areas
- Experience of managing a team and prioritising tasks in line with organisational objectives
- Strong leadership skills with the capability and experience to overcome challenges in order to deliver quality business outcomes
- Strong analytical experience, including a track record in the practical application of analysis or research with an in depth knowledge of data sources
- A proven ability to manage the delivery of complex projects, delivering quality outcomes to deadline and identifying risks
- Good communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to communicate complex analysis to non-specialists and contribute effectively to discussions with ministers, senior officials and external stakeholders
- Ability to deliver high impact analysis to tight deadlines, using forward planning to identify risks and issues
- A first or second class honours degree (2:2 minimum for Statistical Officer) or equivalent in a subject containing formal statistical training (e.g. Statistics, Mathematics, Economics, Sciences, Business Studies, Psychology, Geography, Data Science or similar); or
- A higher degree, e.g. an MSc or PhD, in a subject containing formal statistical training (e.g. Statistics, Mathematics, Economics, Sciences, Business Studies, Data Science, Psychology, Geography or similar).
- Have worked in a statistical/data science field and are able to demonstrate continuous professional development (via a CPD Log Book) in statistics/data science at the same level as a foundation degree/HND (Level 5)
- Have achieved or on track to achieve a level 4 apprenticeship including at least 2 years in a statistical/data analysis field in government and are able to demonstrate continuous professional development in statistics/data analysis (via a CPD log book signed off by a manager or mentor who are members of the statistical profession).
Please note - candidates may apply in their final year of study whilst they are still awaiting their qualification result, however, formal contracts can only be offered upon confirmation of the achievement of the relevant qualification. In the case of an apprenticeship, this includes completing 2 years work experience in a statistical/data analysis field in government as part of attaining the qualification.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Delivering at Pace
- Seeing the Big Picture
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Presenting and Disseminating Data Effectively
- Acquiring Data/Understanding Customer Needs
- Data Analysis
- The opportunity to work across a range of government departments, agencies and other public bodies playing a pivotal role in government decision making
- Contribute to society with a unique chance to work on a breadth of projects and issues that make a real difference for the public good
- Challenge and stretch yourself to develop your career and reach your full potential
- Opportunities to maintain your Continuous Professional Development (CPD) through a statistical learning and development programme
- Membership of a professional community of Data Scientists and Statisticians
- Competitive salary
- Flexible working hours
- Highly competitive pension
This breadth of opportunity is what sets the Civil Service apart from any other employer.
If you are interested in a challenging and progressive career as a statistician, click APPLY NOW for this unique opportunity.