SENIOR HEALTH & BENEFITS ACTUARIAL CONSULTANT
The Senior Actuarial Health and Employee Benefits Consultant (Senior Actuarial Health Consultant) leads the day-to-day consulting and strategic execution for mid-to-large size clients in Canada. A Senior Health Actuarial Consultant interacts with clients and develops relationships, is involved in developing strategies to meet clients' needs, and takes on the role of a trusted advisor. As the Canadian benefits landscape continues to evolve, the Senior Health Actuarial Consultant will champion Mercer’s innovative services and solutions to address the health and wellness needs of our clients and their employees. Working across business lines, the Senior Health Actuarial Consultant will partner with other leaders in the organization to deliver One Mercer to our clients and prospects. The consultant will also manage projects and lead teams in researching, analyzing, and evaluating medical, dental, life and disability benefits plans and programs.
- Set strategic direction for clients’ projects across the scope of the Health Business
- Lead various non-pension post-employment benefit valuation projects for the purposes of collective bargaining negotiations and M&A activity, in addition to traditional financial reporting.
- Work alongside consultants in other business lines to meet all of the HR needs of our clients and prospects
- Champion Mercer Health’s innovative services and solutions
- Oversee client work from a client perspective and formulate recommendations
- Create new business/revenue generating opportunities
- Act as a trusted advisor for a large block of business
- Be accountable for revenue/profitability for client accounts and projects
- Lead successful office, market, or region initiatives
- Build market presence by leading and presenting Mercer at industry seminars and conferences
- Set roles and responsibilities within the client team
- Delegate effectively to provide development opportunities to team members and leverage client work to the most appropriate career level
Qualifications and Competencies:
- BA/BS preferred
- 10+ years of Health & Benefits or related actuarial experience
- Fellow of the Canadian Institute of Actuaries
- Superior analytical and mathematical skills
- Strong, innovative sales and marketing skills
- Knowledge of MS Office Tools (Excel, PowerPoint)
- Strong problem-solving skills including a demonstrated ability to conjure creative solutions to complex problems
- Excellent interpersonal skills; strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks in a demanding work environment
- Ability to partner and lead teams to deliver project objectives; ability to work independently and on a team
- Strong sense of collaboration and team spirit
- Required to obtain and maintain appropriate licenses as required by provincial regulations and Mercer policies
At Mercer, we make a difference in the lives of more than 110 million people every day by advancing their health, wealth, and careers. We’re in the business of creating more secure and rewarding futures for our clients and their employees — whether we’re designing affordable health plans, assuring income for retirement or aligning workers with workforce needs. Using analysis and insights as catalysts for change, we anticipate and understand the individual impact of business decisions, now and in the future. We see people’s current and future needs through a lens of innovation, and our holistic view, specialized expertise, and deep analytical rigor underpin each and every idea and solution we offer. For more than 70 years, we’ve turned our insights into actions, enabling people around the globe to live, work, and retire well. We embrace a culture that celebrates and promotes the many backgrounds, heritages and perspectives of our colleagues and clients. At Mercer, we say we Make Tomorrow, Today. Visit for more information and follow us on LinkedIn and Twitter @Mercer
Mercer LLC and its separately incorporated operating entities around the world are part of Marsh & McLennan Companies, a publicly held company (ticker symbol: MMC).
Marsh & McLennan Companies and its Affiliates are EOE Minority/Female/Disability/Vet/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity employers.
At Mercer, we’re creating a culture where you can bring your authentic self to work. When you join us, you bring your inclusive energy and enthusiasm to a team that values you personally and professionally – regardless of who you are, what you look like, where you were raised or born, who you love, or what your religious beliefs are. You are welcome here.
Chez Mercer, nous favorisons une culture d’entreprise qui vous permet d’etre vraiment vous- même au travail. Lorsque vous joignez nos rangs, vous contribuez, par votre énergie inclusive et votre enthousiasme, à une équipe qui vous apprécie à la fois sur les plans personnel et professionnel – peu importe qui vous êtes, votre apparence, l’endroit où vous êtes né ou avez grandi, qui vous aimez ou vos croyances religieuses. Ici, la porte vous est grande ouverte.